Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Monday, November 20, 2006

A New Week

Sorry I haven’t blogged in a while but I spent the weekend at my sister’s house while she and my brother-in-law went to a spa resort as a celebration of my sister’s 50th birthday (which is actually on the 25th). My mom lives with my sister and so, when they travel out of town, I spend the time with my mom and their dog Amber while my husband stays home alone. Their children spent the two nights with their friends so my mom and I could enjoy a relatively peaceful weekend. Don’t get me wrong, I love my niece (12) and nephew (nearly 10) but my husband and I live a “child-free” existence for a reason and so it was best to have the kids stay with their friends.

I am so glad last week is over. Sadly, my library friend Phyllis passed away after being removed from life support in Hawaii. Her body is being flown back to Arkansas and she will be laid to rest near her parents. The Library is planning a memorial service for her and I hope I will be able to attend. Also last week, my cousin emailed me with the news that her friend’s granddaughter Kylie passed away after a long battle with cystic fibrosis. We’ve been following Kylie’s fight for many years and it pains me to know that someone so young is no longer with us.

I was hoping this week would be uneventful and peaceful but, so far, it’s been far from calm and it’s only Monday. This afternoon we found water on the floor of our service porch when we got home. My husband’s detective work has revealed that a drain pipe is overflowing rather than a pipe leaking so it means a clog somewhere in the system, most probably involving our kitchen sink. We called our plumber of many years and learned that he now works as a plumber for a local university and does private jobs as time permits. This means he won’t be able to come out until Wednesday morning. Oh well…I guess I can always wash our dishes in the bathroom sink until then. I remember now why I’ve been trying to talk my nephew into becoming a doctor or a plumber...we already have a lawyer in the family.

No comments: