Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Joey’s Grand-Godfather

Last night we went to visit our friends whose daughter Denise is my husband’s goddaughter. My husband has always taken his role as godfather very seriously and has been there for all the important events in Denise’s life…her baptism, confirmation, grammar school, high school and college graduations, wedding…and I’ve been there as well for most of these wonderful times. Denise is in town for the holidays with her 5-month-old son Joey and we’ve made sure to see him a few times since he arrived at his grandparents’ home. There we were in our friends’ kitchen with Joey in my arms. He was getting a bit fussy so my husband decided to entertain him with a few children’s songs. Let’s see…there was “A Ride Around the Zoo,” “I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly,” “There’s a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea,” and, as much as my husband could remember, the ever popular “A Froggy Went A Courtin’.” Joey was mesmerized…I’m not sure if it was the singing or the ridiculous faces my husband was making as he sang his heart out.

Although we are child-free by choice, we do love children and Joey is the closest we will ever come to being grandparents. When Joey was born in July, we drove the 400 miles at lightning speed to arrive at the hospital in time for his birth. There we were in the waiting room with the entire family present when he made his debut at 2:24AM. We felt so blessed to be able to share in the joy of a new family member even if we aren’t quite family…at least not by blood. So my husband is now a grand-godfather and I’m the grand-godfather’s wife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great story - Joey is a very lucky little boy because of both you and Rick.

The two of you can adopt me any time. Oh yeah, you already have!!!! I to am a very lucky only oldest.