Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Music of the Season

'Tis the season...Rick, our friend Judy and I attended a fun, free holiday organ concert at the Nethercutt Museum last night. The Nethercutt family owns the Merle Norman Cosmetics company and created this wonderful place where they display the many treasures they have collected through the years. Guests tour free of charge.

The museum is especially known for its large collection of antique automobiles. Rick and I have toured the museum before and this area is definitely Rick's favorite. Here's just a sampling of the cars on display.



The Nethercutts also own and display a world-class collection of automated mechanical instruments including musical repeat striking watches, Swiss bird boxes, cylinder and disc music boxes, and grand pianos. The "grande dame" is their 5,000-piped Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Organ.


Last night's concert featured 21 year-old organist Mark Herman who treated the audience to a wonderful selection of holiday music, showtunes, vintage songs and a few of his own compositions on the Wurlitzer organ and on one of the museum's prized pianos. I have to say that the three of us were amongst the youngest in the audience which makes me wonder how many more years the museum will offer these free concerts. It's sad to think that this terrific music will someday fall victim to the changing tastes of the world's audience. Oh well...I'm just happy we had the opportunity to enjoy Mark's performance and the wonderful music.

4 comments:

rosemary said...

I am of the "next in line" generation....I have that same feeling....once I am gone no one will be in the family to pass on the "good stuff."

Linda said...

This sounds like it was a fantastic concert - sorry to hear that not a lot of younger people attend. It just seems that no one appreciates good music anymore!

That museum looks like it has some fascinating collections and I can see why Rick likes the cars - wow!!

Renee Nefe said...

oh no! Blogger ate my comment!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the concert. Maybe you should invite more of your friends to go along.

about your comment on my blog. I'm afraid that it might be too late in your house. My mom has his & hers bathrooms in her house.

but you could buy a child toilet lock and put that on there....hee hee!

Patti said...

That sounds like it was a great time. I would have enjoyed the concert. The younger generation just doesn't know what it is missing.

Ralph would lo-o-o-ve to see that car collection.