Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thursday, July 12, 2007

It's a Mom Week

It's been a rather quiet few days for me which explains my lack of posting. This week has mostly been about my mom.

Yesterday I took my mom to the YMCA for our weekly arthritis aqautics class and then out to lunch. Today my mom and I went to the hair salon for hair cuts. The verdict...our semi-new stylist improves with each visit and today's results were actually pretty good. My mom's looks quite nice and youthful. Mine is short but has been shaped so I can grow it out fairly easily (I hope) and I think it makes me look "perky" (can a middle aged woman look "perky"?) Of course I haven't washed it or tried to style it myself yet but at least it looks good right out of the salon.

Tomorrow my sister Lynn and her family leave for their weekend camping trip and I will be staying at their house with my mom and their dog Amber. Hubby will be home all by himself...it's funny how he doesn't seem too broken up by this little separation. Actually, we plan to get together for dinner with him on Saturday since Lynn and I live only 30 miles apart and hopefully I can convince him to spend Sunday with us...maybe a nice drive and lunch.

I'm sure Lynn and her family will have a great time and will come back tired but filled with exciting camping tales to tell. I can't wait to hear them all.

16 comments:

Lynn said...

I can't wait to hear how much fun your sister has on her camping trip either...oh wait...that's me (teehee).

Renee Nefe said...

LOL at Lynn's comment. I can't wait to her about it either...I wanna go too.

btw: You've been tagged.

Ralph said...

Perky? If you like, but at a certain age, isn't 'elegant' a more apt description?

Carole Burant said...

I'm glad to hear that you've been having a lovely time with your mom! Hmmmm I kinda like the idea of a haircut making you look "perky"..maybe I need to visit the hairdresser too! LOL Hope your sister has a great time camping this weekend!! xox

ms chica said...

I don't usually consider "perky" in the context of hair... But it sounds like a nice idea. Enjoy spending time with Mom.

Anonymous said...

perky is Katie Couric!! Sorry I can't spend time with you and mom this weekend but as soon as this "Moose" weekend is over, I will have more time.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

perky? well no one would accuse me of being perky. (especially in the "titular" area!)... ha ha

smiles, bee

Patti said...

Perky is good. Wish I felt that way!

Sounds like a fun weekend ahead for all.

Kelly said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Have a good weekend.

Joan said...

Lynn: Have a great time...I'm jealous.

Renee: Thanks for the tag. I'll take a look and try to get to it soon.

Ralph: No one would ever call me "elegant"...trust me. I'm more of a jeans and tee shirt kinda woman.

Pea: I've always wanted to be called "perky." Alas, no one has so I took it upon myself to use the term.

Ms. Chica: The hair cut is kinda sporty to I'm hoping it's making me look younger...I can hope.

Only Oldest: Yes...Katie Couric used to be perky...now she's just middle-aged.

Empress bee: You are waaaaay too funny! :~D

Patti: Believe me...I dont often feel very perky.

Myutopia: Thanks! I'm hoping mom and I have lotsa fun.

rosemary said...

Sporty is better than perky....brings to mind other things. I think it is wonderful that you and your mom enjoy each other so much...it sounds like a really close family. Sometimes when Steve is home for an extended period of time we have both agreed it is a good thing that he travels....as long as it is a short tirp. Just one night is enough to refresh our time together.

Iamthebookworm said...

Have fun this weekend!

Irene said...

Oh, what a sweet, wonderful daughter you are to your mom! Have a good weekend ahead, Perky Joan! ;p

Linda said...

I think a middle-aged woman can be perky, why not? Not that I ever feel that way myself but every great once in awhile my hair will actually have some bounce and life to it so I guess that qualifies as perky hair! Now if I could just get the rest of me to cooperate!

Bethany said...

A new haircut always make you feelgood. Thought of a couple of blogs you might want to check out
www.wolfgirlkitty.blogspot.com
www.merle-3rdtimelucky.blogspot.com
both aussie.cheers

Joan said...

Rosemary: Yeh...I knew the term "perky" might be taken in the wrong context. :~D I agree that a little time apart is a good thing for a relationship...as long as it's only for a short time.

Iamthebookworm: Thanks. I'm planning to treasure the time with my mom.

Irene: I know how lucky I am to still have my mom so I try and see her often.

Linda: I'd rather think of myself as "perky" than as some tired miserable middle aged woman. It's all in the attitude. :~)

Bethany: Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take a look!