Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday, August 25, 2007

I'm Melting...

That's me...the Wicked Witch when I'm hot! Yesterday was a study on how to avoid staying at home when the air conditioning is out. We spent most of the morning at the YMCA where I did a little treadmill work followed by a whole lot of gabbing with a friend. Then Rick and I went to our usual deli for breakfast/lunch...he had an omelet; I had a Greek salad. We then proceeded home for a few hours.

The house was still somewhat cool since the windows were closed up tight holding in what little cool air there was from the nighttime. By the time the house got really really warm, it was time for us to leave for Rick's annual physical appointment with his doctor. Between waiting, the examination, the trip to the lab and the wait at the pharmacy, we managed to enjoy 90 minutes of the medical center's air conditioning. After that, we went out to my sister's house for a visit.

Lynn was kind enough to take us all out for dinner...a very nice treat for having housesat for them last week. When we got back to their house, we viewed their trip photos which were fun to look at (you can view some of them here). Then it was time to go back home. The house was stifling hot but we opened the windows and let it air out a little before bedtime.

So now Rick and I have to think of things to do today and tomorrow to keep us away from the house during the hottest part of the day. I don't know about Rick but I'm probably going to spend a whole lot of time at several of our malls. I may not buy anything but window shopping sure does take up a whole lot of time.

As for "melting," I may be melting from the heat but I'm sure not melting from my diet. I was so thrilled to lose 6 pounds my first week but this second week has been a bust...not a single pound lost. Oh, I haven't gained anything back but I'm stuck and can't seem to get off this way-too-early plateau. What can I say...between the air conditioning on the fritz and my stalled diet, I'm one unhappy girl.

11 comments:

the moose buyer said...

just like you have been telling me for the past year and a half, don't give up on the weight loss. I know you can do what you set your mind to do. At least you are working on the exercise. It will come off I promise.

Lynn said...

You are welcome to come and cool off at my house, anytime! It certainly is frustrating when you are hungry all of the time, and the scale doesn't budge at all. I'm thinking that next week you will see a significant drop...at least that's what happens on "The Biggest Loser". Hang in there;~)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

come visit me honey, my house is freezing, i have a blanket over me, of course sarge is still hot!

smiles, bee

Midlife Mom said...

I think I would die if my airconditioning quit on me in this heat! Our basement stays pretty cool though so I could hang out there and work on my sewing (which I am way behind on!). How long before yours is repaired? We have dew points in the 70's today so it is muggy, muggy, muggy!!!! Bleck!!!

ms chica said...

Sounds like you have a strategy for your weekend. Some nights when it's too hot, I go to bed with an ice pack. It helps me cool off long enough to fall asleep.

Mom said...

Six pounds is enough for 2 weeks. Just keep eating less and exercising more. Summer will end - Pomise!

Val said...

I go to the cinema for some air con - it's cool and entertaining too!

Michele said...

Hang in there Joan. It's got to cool down soon. As far as your weight... be patient... it's usually water you lose first, right? and then comes the inches... you may not see it on the scale but it's the inches that are melting off!!
I have the 5 worst foods in the world NOT to eat... come on over and take a look!
The Rocky Mountain Retreat

Ralph said...

You mean if you took a cool shower to cool off, you'd melt like the Wicked Witch of the West? Is California in the West?

rosemary said...

Mall therapy should work to cool down. Stick with the diet...it will keep coming off. your body is adjusting.

Iamthebookworm said...

Oh you poor thing! I don't think I could stand no AC.