Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Friday, August 1, 2008

Shuffle, Shuffle, Stomp

I have a little secret. Ever since I retired four years ago, I've wanted to do two new things in my life...learn to play the drums and tap dance. I've talked about both activities over and over but just never found the time or energy or will to do anything about them.

So a few weeks ago I was at my YMCA when I noticed a sign announcing a new class starting on July 31st..."Tap Dance for Adults." My heart skipped a few beats as I suddenly saw an opportunity I just couldn't miss...until I looked down and realized I was standing on a "damaged" foot sporting a big black walking boot. Damn!

So what did I do? I immediately went home, turned on my computer, searched my favorite shoe buying website and ordered tap shoes (in a narrow width). They arrived, they fit and they are sitting on the floor of my den.

Last night was the first class so I went over to the YMCA and explained my predicament to the instructor before class. She suggested I sit in on the class and assured me she'd let me into the already full class once my foot healed.

I purposely left my tap shoes at home fearing I might suddenly decide to throw off my boot, put my shoes on and join in. It's a good thing I did! The class was incredibly fun and the students were all ages...from teens to seniors. Some admitted to taking tap classes when they were young while others were first-timers.

So yesterday I learned some of the fundamentals of tap while sitting on the sidelines. Oh wait...I guess you could say I took a "Chair Tap Dance" class because there I was sitting in a chair moving my feet (boot and all) just like all the rest of the students learning the various tap steps and dance routines.

I go to the Podiatrist next Thursday and I'm expecting he'll tell me that my foot is healed and I can stop wearing the boot. I'm sure he'll urge me to wear really supportive shoes and go easy on my foot for a while. So what do you think he'll say when I tell him I'm planning to take a tap dance class that night?

5 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

LOL! I'm sure the doc won't be very happy about your plans...but how can he deny this? You've wanted it for so long.

I hope that your foot heals and you're able to follow your dream. That would be so very cool.

Linda said...

Oh how fun! I took tap dance lessons for a little while well over ten years ago but I was such a klutz that I gave it up. Which is too bad because I've always wanted to be able to tap dance.

I wanted to learn to play the drums, too, but after playing them on Rock Band, I decided I was too uncoordinated for that, too!

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll be dancing circles around your podiatrist in no time!

Ralph said...

The doctor will wince!

Good for you to even think about trying. Tapping you will enjoy.

Tapping through pain? Mind over matter!

Patti said...

I doubt the doctor will approve of such a plan.

I hope your foot is better really soon!
Good luck with your newfound activity! I've never done that. My hat is off to you.

Patti said...

P.S. I guess that would be a top hat. That's what tap dancers use, right?

;-)