Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

How to Torture Your Husband

OK…I am soooo mean. My birthday is next month and my husband wants so desperately to get me a gift. Now we normally don’t exchange gifts for any occasion but, he bugged me so much at Christmas, I finally gave him “permission” to find something for me for my birthday. He’s been trying to buy fine jewelry for me for some time but I’m just not a fine jewelry type of girl (what can I say). So he has decided to buy me something else for my birthday with the help of one of our friends. Now this friend has a certain expertise in a certain area of interest so I’m pretty sure I know what I’m getting. And my husband has already told me he knows I’ve figured out what I’m getting. So…why am I so mean…because I’ve told my husband that I want to be “surprised” so he’s not allowed to tell me what I’m getting (even though we both know I know.) Are you following all this? So my husband is walking around the house bursting to tell me what I’m getting in great detail and I won’t let him. Keeping secrets is a really hard thing for him to do and I’m not making it any easier. Yes...that makes me a really mean person, I guess, but I really don't want to know the details...I want some element of surprise when I open my gift. Of course, won't I be shocked if it turns out the gift is something totally different. Surprise!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

If your hubby wants to tell someone...I volunteer! I am more than willing to hear what he is getting you for your birthday...and I promise I won't tell. Cross my heart and....

sari said...

My husband and I can never wait to give each other our gifts. It's ridiculous!

Whenever my dad sends something to us for a gift he writes all over it DO NOT OPEN UNTIL xx/xx/xxxx because it drives him insane that we always open everything early.

Joan said...

Sari--I must be really unusual. I won't even open the early birthday cards I get in the mail until my birthday. I just put them up on the fireplace mantel until the actual day. It drives my hubby crazy!

Anonymous said...

I have waded through all your birthdays and we both know each one gets more painful for me but I am willing to concede that you deserve the best present he can give you. My birthday wish for you is at least another 30 years of health and happiness. Oh yeah, that would make me very old but it's worth it to see you happy.