Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday, March 24, 2007

To Grandmother’s House We Went

So my grand adventure to pick up Hubby’s grandgodson Joey is now over. And it turned out to be a wonderful 700 mile round-trip experience.

Grandma and I left her house at 9:00AM Thursday morning and made two stops along the way. The first was for lunch and, although not a red meat eater for health reasons, I couldn’t resist the gorgonzola hamburger with bacon, grilled red peppers and caramelized onions at a famous highway restaurant known for its beef selections…yummy, yummy, yummy. The second stop was at an historic fruit stand extravaganza (I don’t know how else to describe it) for a potty break. We arrived at Other Grandparents’ home just after 3:00PM and waited outside for a short time until Joey and his mom arrived. Other Grandma arrived home soon after and then the rest of the family wandered in after work. We all had a wonderful dinner and then Joey and his parents drove home for their last night together. Then it was lights out for us as we tried to get some sleep before our long drive home on Friday.

Yesterday morning, Joey and his mom came at 7:00AM and, after a teary goodbye, his mom left for her last day of work before her trip to Italy. Grandma and I decided to get on the road right away and off we went. We stopped at the fruit stand again and sat in the restaurant there trying to feed Joey his bottle. He wasn’t very receptive so we piled back in the car and, when he got fussy a little while later, Grandma fed him his bottle. I should mention that Grandma spent the entire trip seated in the backseat next to Joey in his carseat just in case he needed company. We made our second stop (at the “beef” restaurant) so that Grandma could change his diaper (no, I didn’t volunteer) and, since neither of us were hungry, we got back in the car and headed south.

The remaining hours were a dream. Joey, now fed and dry, drifted off into slumberland and remained there until we pulled into Grandma’s driveway. That’s right…he slept the entire rest of the way home! How lucky could we be??? We arrived home just after 1:00PM, unloaded the car and then spent the rest of the afternoon feeding and playing with Joey who was now wide awake and full of energy. I finally left and drove the short distance home where I was greeted happily by Hubby.

So Joey is with Grandma and Grandpa for the next few weeks and Hubby and I get to spend oodles of time with him…oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!


Renee said...

Glad you had a good trip.

re: fingernail stickers for glasses. I've found a really good selection at Wallyworld. For my glasses I usually have a gold heart in just one corner. I let DD pick her own the day we ordered her glasses. I figured it would help give her ownership of her glasses if she could decorate them and it did.

Patti said...

Congratulations on such an easy trip with an infant. It must be beginner's luck, Joan.

I'm disappointed that you didn't get to do diaper detail, though.
Enjoy your time playing with the little guy.

Lynn said...

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that you are back safe and sound! Did I ever tell you how it once took hubby and I along with Baby Twelve (she was 3 months old at the time), 8 long excruiating hours to drive 300 miles up to the snow? And that we repeated it when Ten was a baby, too?

Midlife Mom said...

Glad you had such a good trip with the baby! He could've howled the whole way but thankfully he slept. Good job gals!

BTW I think I have figured out my computer glitch. It must have been your good thoughts coming through! Glad you liked the slide show.

Pam said...

What a good baby! We, like Lynn, had an 8-hour drive in a snowstorm (should have taken 4 hours) with our baby son. He cried and fussed most of the way until we were 10 minutes away from home and he fell asleep. Then we got home and he woke up and was good to go for hours even though we were ready for bed.

Susie said...

Joey sounds like a very good little traveler. Lucky you! Glad you're home safe and sound!!

patches said...

Glad you had a safe trip. Re: hamburger, sometimes it feels soooo good to eat something that's sooo bad for you. A treat every now and then doesn't hurt.

Joan said...

Renee: Thanks for the info on the stickers. We don't have a Wallyworld where we live so I'll hunt around.

Patti: I'll take whatever luck I can get!

Lynn: Your nightmare trip with Baby Twelve was my nightmare...thank goodness it turned out to be a dream.

Midlife mom: A howling baby was what I imagined. Good thing it turned out to be the opposite. Glad to hear your computer glitch is no longer a problem.

Pam: Your 8-hour snowstorm drive sounds like every parent's nightmare. And why is it that babies seem to have schedules that are the reverse of their parents'?

Susie: Joey is a good traveler and I think I have his mom to thank for that since she's driven him down south several times to see Grandma and Grandpa. I guess there's something to the adage "practice makes perfect."

Patches: I decided recently that life's too short to allows avoid the good stuff so, every now and then, I splurge.

Joan said...

Patches: I must have had a momentary brain fart when I wrote my comment to you so just ignore the "allows" and then keep reading! Oops!