Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Monday, December 31, 2007

Ringing In The New Year

It's hard to believe that it's New Year's Eve morning and we're about to bid farewell to 2007 and welcome in 2008. I wish I had some brilliant philosophical insight into this annual event but sadly it's not to be...waxing eloquently is just not my "thing."

This evening Rick and I will go over to Lynn's home to celebrate the New Year with family. We call this "New York New Year's" since we watch the New York Times Square TV feed at 9:00PM Pacific Time, blow our horns, sip our phony champagne, kiss each other and then head on home well before our West Coast midnight. It will be a quiet evening with food and entertainment of our own making. I'm bringing chocolate chip cookie dough fixings so that I can teach Elle (my 13 year old niece) how to make and then eat the yummy cookie dough right out of the bowl. She thinks I'm "cool."

So on this New Year's Eve, I want to wish everyone a happy and healthy 2008. May the New Year bring you and your families peace and joy.

Update (11:00AM): Well...as they say - "The best laid plans..." Lynn just called to tell me that she was up all night with our family's version of the stomach flu. She's been fighting sickness for the past two weeks and I think her resistance finally gave up. I feel so badly for her since I was exactly in her place a few weeks ago and I know how draining it can be. Anyway, our New Year's Eve plans are cancelled so Rick and I will spend the evening at home...just the two of us. That's OK with us...we can eat sensibly, watch a movie, sip our non-alcoholic champagne, watch the Times Square ball drop and then head off to slumberland at a reasonable hour. Happy New Year's!

9 comments:

Carole Burant said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to bring in a new year:-)

New Year is a time for celebration of love, of life, of friendship. It's the time to thank God for wonderful friends, and to bring to their lives as much magic as they bring to ours...so here's celebrating our friendship and praying that its magic continues forever. Happy New Year to you and yours dear Joan! xoxo

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well i think you're pretty cool too! happy new year!

smiles, bee

Renee Nefe said...

My crazy family likes to celebrate the new year each hour...east coast, central, mountain & pacific time...they just can't get enough making loud noises.

Have a great new years...love the cookie idea. My step-dad feels bad that they are leaving tomorrow and won't be here for my birthday so he wants to go buy me a cake (or is just making sure HE gets some cake. LOL) So we'll be eating cake tonight.

meno said...

Happy New Year! And you are cool.

the moose buyer said...

well since you just called and told me Lynn is sick (still) and we are cancelled for tonight, I will wish you and Rick a very happy "boring" New Year and we can get together some time next week.

Ralph said...

You guys in Pacific time have it made...on the east coast, we can only watch the ball drop in real-real time (ie: midnight) or fall into slumberland first...

sari said...

Happy New Years!! I hope your night is great! We're all heading to ihop for dinner, and making it an early evening.

I'm looking forward to catching up with you soon. I hope Lynn is feeling better.

Patti said...

I do hope Lynn is feeling better by now.
You are a cool Auntie, for sure!

Happy New Year to you and Rick. May your 2008 be great.

ms chica said...

You won't be alone. I'll be bringing in the new year with you on the east coast.