Retirement is a week filled with Saturdays and Sundays interrupted only occasionally by a holiday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Friday, November 9, 2007

I Think It's Finally Autumn...

It finally looks like the Fall season here and I'm thrilled. This morning we woke up to a very ominous, cloudy and dank sky with a forecast of drizzle and light rain and cooler weather. Of course, you know what that means in Southern California...we'll probably have sunshine and warmth by this afternoon without a drop of moisture. Sigh...this lack of rain is getting really old.

Last night was a rare event for me...I stayed out until 10:30PM and this morning I'm feeling the effects of my late night "partying." OK...I wasn't really partying...I was playing Bunco. My friend "J" plays this mindless but fun game once a month with a group of friends and this was her month to host. Since there's always at least one person who fails to show, she asks me to come as a substitute when it's at her house. It's lots of fun and I get to spend a night out "with the girls." No...I didn't win any of the prizes this time but my prize was having a great time and that's certainly enough for me.

Today Rick and I are going shopping and "no" it's not for shoes. A local lamp company known for its craftsman designs is having a special sale at its factory and Rick spotted the ad in the newspaper last weekend. Although we don't live in a craftsman bungalow, we've been slowly buying living room furniture in that motif and so we're going to see if they have a lamp we like. Rick would really love a specific design that he's been coveting for some time now so I'm hoping we'll find one there. If not, maybe there will be something else to buy.

It's hard to believe that it's Friday already. The weeks just seem to be whizzing by. I was driving along the main street near our house yesterday and, to my shock and surprise, they've already put up Christmas decorations on the lamp posts. How can this be? The area's Holiday Parade isn't until December 2nd and yet here we are in early November and signs of Christmas abound. I'm just not ready.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck finding the lamp. Post a picture of whatever you wind up getting.

The Christmas decorations are up in my town too. They don't light them until after Thanksgiving though. Which is less than 2 weeks away! Where DOES the time go?

Mary said...

Joan,

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Please pick up a copy of the award, as you are on my blogroll.

Yes, Christmas will be here before we know it and the cities are putting up their decorations. The stores are playing Christmas music and have already started having sales. Our dollar is high and they are trying to keep people from crossing the border to shop in the US. That's great news for Canadian shoppers.

I enjoyed my post, as always. Have a great weekend.

Blessings,
Mary

Renee Nefe said...

Have fun shopping!

See I'm here now...computer problem fixed...bad router. Now to fix the router. he he

Lynn said...

Good luck on finding a lamp. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Soon the Christmas decorations will be up in August.

Mary said...

Joan,

Please drop over to my blog. I have a little surprise for you.
Blessings,
Mary

meno said...

The first time i played Bunco, i won the big prize, which i think was $40.00. The next time i won the prize for the least number of games won.

Guess i need to practice my rolling skills.

Susie said...

Hi Joan,
I'm not quite ready for Christmas. I truly make an effort to enjoy each holiday and not rush too far forward.
The stores aren't fond of that attitude!!
xo

Linda said...

We made the jump from not-too-bad to immediately too darned cold which doesn't surprise me, I was afraid we'd be going that route. The good thing, though, is that means it's perfect weather for beef stew and apple pie so to that end I'm having some friends over tomorrow night for dinner!

Hope your search for a lamp went well!

Patti said...

Joan, I am not ready for Thanksgiving -gobble, gobble-never mind Christmas.

Like Linda said, now it's winter here in CT. It was so mild for so long that it's a shock. But I hate the heat and humidity, so there you go.
Time for sweaters and turtlenecks, I guess.